Madison East counselor receives prestigious award

Nolan Batton, Reporter

It all started when a former MMSD Director of School Counseling nominated Madison East High AVID counselor Sarah Elmore for an award. Then, based on the nomination, the Wisconsin School Counselor Association (WSCA) and their Scholarship and Recognition Committee chose Elmore as a WSCA Equity in Action award recipient.

“I had no idea I had been nominated for or won the award until I got an email from WSCA earlier this week. I was totally surprised,” Elmore said.

The WSCA Equity in Action award is a prestigious award that recognizes school counselors who have made significant contributions to the advancement of equity in education for students in Wisconsin.

“I appreciate the personal recognition, but I wouldn’t be able to support my students without my teams,” Elmore said. “I feel like this award is really an award for the Equity work that the East high community has been diving into over the last several years. I am a stronger counselor because I get to work with the students of East high and our dynamic staff. Receiving this award energizes me to keep reflecting and learning on how I can best support all of my students. I want each student at East to find joy in their high school experience and to be excited about their post-secondary plans.”

East High guidance counselor Sarah Elmore works at her desk in student services. The Wisconsin School Counselor Association selected Elmore for their Equity in Action Award this October.