East’s School Play Advances To State

Madison East theatre students move on to sectionals in the WI High School Theatre Festival.

Nolan Batton, Reporter

Going to State!!

East’s award-winning production of  “We Found a Finger” written by Kameron Klitgaard, is advancing to the State Theater Competition this coming Saturday, Nov. 19 in Whitewater, WI.

According to senior Fox Hudson, lots of practice and rehearsing helped further East in the tournament. The cast has been cutting down on time, focusing, projecting their voices during warm ups and more in preparation to continue their success this weekend. 

Senior Fox Hudson didn’t think he’d make it this far, but is excited, “To be honest no, despite doing good, some things to be fixed, none noticed.” 

The first performances of “We Found a Finger,” a dark comedy play by Kameron Klitgaard, were on Friday, Oct. 21 and Saturday, Oct. 29 at 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. There were two separate casts for the project, and each performed twice at East.
           East High’s theater students took the show to compete in the District Level of the WI High School Theatre Festival in Middleton on Saturday, Oct. 22. Their performance of  “We Found a Finger” went so well that they advanced to the Sectional Round at Waunakee High School, which is this Saturday, Nov.5 at 2:35 p.m.
      “We would love to see some of our East community there to support,” said Paul Milisch, East theatre director.
     Cast members shared their excitement and other feelings going into this upcoming performance competition.
     “It’s been difficult and stressful for sure, but overall a great experience. Everyone is very supportive though, especially the seniors,” said sophomore Autumn Salas, who plays the character Emma in the purple cast of the show.
     The One Act is about three teen girls who find the dismembered finger of high school football player Jackson. The trio are obsessed with him and comedy ensues from there. Salas, who plays the character Emma, is dating the character Jackson and has to ward off the obsessed trio throughout the production.
     “I feel very confident in our ability to do well even if we don’t move onto the state round. We’re gonna put on a good show,” said senior Ula Kubisz, who play Aubrey, the lead role and leader of the enthusiastic trio.